Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Mark 11:24

Today's Favorite Verse: Mark 11:24
"Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them."

This is where I call the 8th Article of Faith into play.
"We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God."

I believe there is a very important qualifier to this verse in Mark, where the meaning would have been very plain and precious. Without it Satan will often quote it and twist it. It grieves my heart to know of people that use this to follow the occult practice of the law of attraction. This is not God's law. Anything you desire will not come to you. The qualifier is "which is right", which means the will of God. Even the Savior himself prayed, "Thy will be done."

"And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.
(3 Nephi 18:20)

"And, as it is written - Whatsoever ye shall ask in faith, being united in prayer according to my command, ye shall receive."
(Doctrine and Covenants 29:6)

"And then shall ye know, or by this shall you know, all things whatsoever you desire of me, which is pertaining unto things of righteousness, in faith believing in me that you shall receive."
(Doctrine and Covenants 11:14)

Even Nephi, the son of Helaman, who was given the sealing power had this qualifier on why it was given him. "For thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will."

"Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments.
And now, because thou has done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will."
(Helaman 10:4-5)

If this is not understood than one of two things can happen. 1. People could loose faith when their desires are not answered. 2. Satan could answer that desire. Forever, that qualifier needs to be there, that it is according to God's will. In time, through the spirit, we will know how to not ask amiss. It's important to remember the Savior was speaking to his apostles in this verse, and not to all that followed after him. Ask with faith, always but be believing that if it is according to God's will it will be answered.



Day 1543

No comments:

Post a Comment