Saturday, November 24, 2018

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 17:22-23

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 17:22-23
"Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers.
But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction."

Today is Saturday, and Saturday is a special day. Once again I find myself singing the Primary song while involved in preparations. This has been ingrained in me since my childhood from goodly parents.

Saturday is a special day.
It's the day we get ready for Sunday:
We clean the house, and we shop at the store,
So we won't have to work until Monday.
We brush our clothes, and we shine our shoes,
And we call it our get-the-work-done day.
Then we trim our nails, and we shampoo our hair,
So we can be ready for Sunday!

I found a quote I was looking for with scripture references on why I honor the Sabbath Day on Sunday, the first day of the week and not on the last.

"Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints recognize Sunday as the Sabbath in commemoration of the fact that Christ came forth from the grave on Sunday, and the Apostles commenced meeting thereafter on the first day of the week."
(Earl C. Tingey, April 1996 General Conference talk "The Sabbath Day and Sunday Shopping")
(see John 20:1-6, Luke 24:1, Mark 16:1, Matt 28:1, Acts 20:7)

Of the many things I love about the Sabbath it is what I will learn this day that excites me the most. Be it at church worshiping with my brothers and sisters, or home personally studying the scriptures or with my family, the spirit seems the strongest on this day to give me instruction. This is a tender mercy of the Lord to open my eyes and ears especially on His Holy Day. I totally get it when the Lord says that to not honor the Sabbath day you will not hear or receive instruction. I think that is the little sign God gives back to me if I am honoring His day or not.



Day 1337

No comments:

Post a Comment