Thursday, December 21, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Nehemiah 11:1-2

Today's Favorite Verse: Nehemiah 11:1-2
"And the rulers of the people dwelt at Jerusalem: the rest of the people also cast lots, to bring one of ten to dwell in Jerusalem the holy city, and nice parts to dwell in other cities.
And the people blessed all the men, that willingly offered themselves to dwell at Jerusalem."

This has me somewhat puzzled. Why did the people not want to live in Jerusalem?  That is the very place I would want to be. Sounds like they had to draw lots to select one tenth of them to live there. When I first read it I though the lots were to select who got to lived there, because they all wanted to. Then the next verse seems more clear that it was a sacrifice to live there. I guess I needed to see the surrounding areas to know why they would want to be outside of Jerusalem and not inside of it. If I look at what's happening in Jerusalem today, being divided into four religious sectors, I could see them fearing attack in that holy city. Was it like that back then too? I'm sure as I read on it will become more clear to me.

Day 999

No comments:

Post a Comment