Friday, December 8, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Ezra 8:21

Today's Favorite Verse: Ezra 8:21
"Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river of Ahava, that we might afflict ourselves before our God, to seek of him a right way for us, and for our little ones, and for all our substance."

The word afflict didn't sound right to me, because to appear afflicted would not be what the Lord would have me show while fasting.

"Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.
(Matthew 6:16)

Thankfully there was a footnote on the word afflict - OR humble. Now that made sense to me. Fasting and humbling myself before God is exactly what I try so hard to do on at such a special day. I am so grateful for Fast Sundays. How they fill my soul. For I rarely fast for something I need or anyone else needs. We have been blessed to not have the need. Instead I fast for the joy of the gospel and gratitude for all God has done for me. I am grateful for the spirit showing me a better way. As I fast in gratitude and joy my basket runneth over with more and I am filled.


Day 986

No comments:

Post a Comment