Thursday, May 25, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Judges 3:1, 4

Today's Favorite Verse: Judges 3:1, 4
"Now these are the nations which the Lord left, to prove Israel by them, even as many of Israel as had not known all the wars of Canann;
And they were to prove Israel by them, to know whether they would hearken unto the commandments of the Lord, which he commanded their fathers by the hand of Moses."

Why were not all the nations driven out of the land Israel was to inherit? It was so the Lord could prove them. To see if they could leave alone these other nations and not worship their gods. What did the children of Israel do? They let their children marry into the other nations, then they served their gods. Soon they forgot the Lord and war broke out again.

This all made me think of the quote "Be in the world but not of the world", which is shortened from Jesus great Intercessory Prayer in John 17:11, 14-15.

"And now I am no more in the word, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from evil."

That's just part. I sat and read the whole Intercessory prayer and wept. What beautiful promises if I do not become part of the world. Oh, to have such depths of humility as the Savior prayed to the Father. All that he did to bless me. How small a price it is for me to stay out of the world, and how great the benefits. I do like the side I am on. The only pain I have is seeing those that were once not part of the world join it.


Day 789

No comments:

Post a Comment