Thursday, May 4, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 6:5, 27

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 6:5, 27
"And it shall come to pass, that when they make a long blast with the ram's horn, and when ye hear the sound of the trumpet, all the people shall shout with a great shout; and the wall of the city shall fall down flat, and the people shall ascend up every man straight before him.
So the Lord was with Joshua; and his fame was noised throughout all the country."

The Lord instructions them on how to take the city of Jericho. The men or war are to silently march around the city once six days in a row. They are to march with the ark of the covenant and seven priests are to blow seven trumpets of rams' horn continually as they do so. Then on the seventh day, they proceed to march seven times around the city. Then on the seventh time around Joshua tells the people to shout; for the lord hath given you the city. When the people shouted with a great shout and the trumpets blew, the wall of the city of Jericho fell down flat. Then men went in and took the city.

I sat and pondered on so many things. Putting myself in the shoes of all the different characters. I wondered if I would believe that it was possible for the city walls to fall down like that simply from marching, trumpets blaring and people shouting. I sure hope I would. I guess I can't know that unless I am faced with something so incredible. So far, all I have had to have faith in is small things for me. I guess faith starts with small things first.

Then I thought about the people in the city. Would I tremble and quake to know the children of Israel were outside the city walls? How would I feel to see this curious event happen six days in a row? I know from Rahab's earlier words the people were already afraid of the God of Israel. Man, I would just want to leave the city. I know Israel's God could do anything. I found it interesting I could feel more assurance of the power of Israel's God as one being conquered, than thinking as a children of Israel. I have no idea what that means.

I wondered if the people of Jericho grew tired of seeing men marching around their city for six days?  Did they begin to laugh or mock at the sight? When things changed on the seventh day did they feel terror or dread? They didn't know what the plan was, they were only watching the events from inside the safety of their walls.

I pondered on Joshua, the prophet. What great shoes he had to fill after Moses. With the Lord cutting off the waters of the Jordan for the children of Israel to pass, and now the walls of Jericho falling down, I can see how the fame of Joshua would be noised around the country. I pictured what it would be like to hear this news. It made me think of the folk spiritual "The Battle of Jericho". I had to sit and listen to it. I couldn't help but think of how many generations the fame of this event has been passed down. Of course, reading the bible tells the story, but those with no faith have usually heard this song.


Day 768

No comments:

Post a Comment