Thursday, May 18, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 20:2-3

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 20:2-3
"Speak to the children of Israel, saying, Appoint out of you cities of refuge, whereof I spake unto you by the hand of Moses:
That the slayer that killeth any person unawares and unwittingly may flee thither: and they shall be your refuge from the avenger of blood."

I pondered on the whole city of refuge for the slayer that kills by accident. Giving protection from the avenger of blood. I pictured what it must have been like to accidentally cause someone's death. I've know people that experienced a child running out in front of their car and killing them. The turmoil and guilt they felt over such a thing. They were definitely innocent. Yet in the law of Moses taking a life would mean your life. Someone in the family of the deceased had the right to avenge their blood. I thought about how they also would stone a person back then for picking up sticks on the sabbath day. What is the difference in this case about taking the person's life?

I think the difference is their innocence. The protection was given to a person that was innocent, so their life would not be shed. If the law of Moses was to point to the ultimate sacrifice of my Savior, Jesus Christ, then the only innocent life to be shed was his. Not only would he protect the innocent, he would protect the avenger from shedding the innocent blood too. I reflected on how just and merciful that was.


Day 782

No comments:

Post a Comment