Monday, May 8, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 10:12-13

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 10:12-13
"Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.
And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day."

In order to have time to finish the battle with his enemies Joshua asks the Lord to make the sun stand still, and stay the moon. It made me think of how the Lord is hastening his work and shortening the days for the sake of his very elect.

"And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."  (Matthew 24:22)

With not as many real hours in the day now, I have struggled to finish all that needs to be done. I have wished at times I could make the sun stand still. For now, I realize I must choose my priorities and do the most important things first. I have felt the Lord is testing me to see if I can judge what really matters. All I am capable of doing in a day is putting Him first. As the other areas of my past life fade away I can see I am the better for it. As time presses in to accomplish what is needful I will stop and evaluate did I put him first? Have I worked on my family history? Have I gone visiting teaching? If I add those in my busy schedule the minutes will stretch longer as it is needed. I have witnessed miracle happen when time seems to stand still. I have also seen time jump. I know as Joshua I'm not in control of this the Lord is.  He is doing what is needful to protect me.

The other thing I noted in this verse was the mention of the book of Jasher. I followed the footnotes and found three sections to follow:

Scriptures, Lost
Scriptures to Come Forth
Bible Dictionary -  Lost Books

There are references to at least 15 lost books mentioned in the bible alone. That is more than what the Book of Mormon mentions as lost books. There were other writings too that were mentioned so I'm really not sure of the total count we know that are lost. It made me wonder, what is lost that we don't even know about right now?  I sat and pondered on this for a while.

I would love to read the book of Jasher and all these lost books. I would also love to read the sealed portion of the Book of Mormon and the rest of John's prophesies in Revelations that were sealed too.

"And when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not.
And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings."
(Revelation 10:4, 11)

As I sat and thought on this, I saw the irony of the hastening of time I reflected on earlier. I would have to ask God to make the sun stand still so I could read all the lost books and sealed portions when they are made available. I struggle now to read what I do have, and then that's not even taking into consideration having studied, pondered and understood it. I have so much to still do with what I have already been given, it really should be enough. Funny that just tonight in family scriptures my husband commented that tomorrow we will finish the last chapter in Acts. We remarked on how quickly you get through the scriptures even with doing only one chapter a day. Slow and steady does help accomplish the goal. It's just if I got new scriptures I would want to feast on it all right then.


Day 772

No comments:

Post a Comment