Friday, May 5, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 7:7

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 7:7
"And Joshua said, Alas, O Lord God, wherefore has thou at all brought this people over Jordan, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? would to God we had been content, and dwelt on the other side Jordan!"

Israel is beaten by the people of Ai. Then Joshua rent his clothes, fell with his face to the earth before the ark of the covenant, with dust upon his head, and cries this verse.

I pondered on this, I cannot tell exactly which way Joshua is speaking. It sounds like he's saying "God, why did you do this to us?"

The Lord does answer and tells him it is because Israel had sinned by transgressing his covenant against taking any of the accursed things in Jericho.  So what got me to thinking were the words "Why did God do this to us?"  Should I not say "What have I done to offend thee?"  I have learned the problem is never God, it's me. God's ways are always just, I just might not understand them at the moment. He will teach me if I humble myself before him.


Day 769

No comments:

Post a Comment