Friday, May 12, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 14:10

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 14:10
"And now, behold, the Lord hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the Lord spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.
As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.
Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the Lord spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the Lord will be with me, that I shall be able to drive them out, as the Lord said."

These are the words of Caleb the faithful spy of Numbers 13-14. Who along with Joshua were the only ones to give a good report of the land they are now possessing. The Lord promised that all the children of Israel of that generation would wander and die and not possess the land, except them for their faithfulness. Now 45 years later Caleb comes to claim his blessing. He is 85 years old and as strong as he was at the age of 40 when this event happened. The Lord has preserved him for this day. He is still to drive out those in his promised land, but he is faithful and the Lord has made him strong enough to do so.

All this made me think about my patriarchal blessing and the promises given me 41 years ago. Almost as long as Caleb's promised blessing. I had the desire to search for what promises I have not claimed. I felt like Caleb I could now approach the Lord and ask for them. It gave me much to ponder on. I looked at things with new eyes. I found so many wonderful promises.  I marvel at how the words of my blessing fit me at age of 15, and yet still at 55. I could see all my blessings in various stages of fruition.

My patriarchal blessing is very long, it's 2 1/2 typed legal pages in length. It has become very fragile with all the handling over the years. I transcribed it many years ago into my RootsMagic program, and later carried it on my cell phone using the app. That is where I have been reading it from.  I felt impressed to compare my transcription to the original and found  I missed transcribing three whole paragraphs. I counted 10 blessings in those paragraphs alone. It just made me cry. By missing these blessings I was not claiming all the Lord had blessed me with. That is the message I was to receive reading the scriptures today.


Day 776

No comments:

Post a Comment