Sunday, March 6, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Helaman 7:4-5

Today's Favorite Verse: Helaman 7:4-5
"And seeing the people in a state of such awful wickedness, and those Gadianton robbers filling the judgment-seats - having usurped the power and authority of the land; laying aside the commandments of God, and not in the least aright before him; doing no justice unto the children of men;
Condemning the righteous because of their righteousness; letting the guilty and the wicked go unpunished because of their money; and moreover to be held in office at the head of government, to rule and do according to their wills, that they might get gain and glory of the world, and, moreover, that they might the more easily commit adultery, and steal, and kill, and do according to their own wills."

It's 21 years before the sign of the birth of the Savior is to come. Nephi, son of Helaman, has returned from the north preaching the word of God and prophesying. All his words were rejected and he couldn't stay among them. He returns to the land of Zarahemla and is full of deep sorrow for the wickedness of the people. The way he describes the conditions in the land would be how I would describe mine today. 

Nephi laments that if only he lived in the days when his father Nephi had first come to the promised land. People were firm in keeping the commands of God, and slow to do iniquity. Then he could have joyed in the promise land. I can say I wish the same thing. That we were back in the days of our founding fathers that established the laws of the land, our divinely inspired constitution. Those were men of honor and integrity that worshiped God. To live in such a day would restore joy to this nation. 

What does Nephi do about this? He goes into his garden and bows himself upon a tower and pours his soul out to God. This tower happened to be near the garden gate, which leads to the highway, on the way to the chief market place. Men happen by and stop to hear him. They run to tell others to come. The multiples gather to know what was the cause of so great mourning for the wickedness of the people. When Nephi arose he sees this multiple that has gathered together. He tells them the reason they marvel at his mourning, is because the devil has a great hold upon their hearts. They are blinded to how wicked they really are. He calls them to repentance.  

As I sit here in my computer room I realize I am sitting next to my computer tower, which leads to my gateway-router that allows access to the modern highway called the internet. I'm going to post my favorite verse on Facebook, the chief social media marketplace. I am not as wonderful as a Nephi, but I understand better why the Lord has told me to continue to share my daily favorite verse. I can see what a difference it would make if thousands did the same thing and flooded the earth. I went back and listened to Elder David A. Bednar talk "To Sweep the Earth as with a Flood", at BYU's Eduction Week, 19 Aug 2014. "The Lord is hastening his work, and its is no coincidence that these powerful communication innovations and inventions are occurring in the dispensation of the fullness of times."  I just had to sit and marvel, thinking about Mormon as he saw my day. How interesting the wording for his description on where Nephi's tower sat. This is no coincidence. Nephi's prayer upon the tower is an invitation to follow his example. The Lord knows how to reach his children and the hearts it will effect.



No comments:

Post a Comment