Saturday, March 19, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 4:31-33

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 4:31-33
"And it came to pass that they did break forth, all as one, in singing, and praising their God for the great thing which he had done for them, in preserving them from falling into the hands of their enemies.
Yea, they did cry: Hosanna to the Most High God. And they did cry: Blessed be the name of the Lord God Almighty, the Most High God.
And their hearts were swollen with joy, unto the gushing out of many tears, because of the great goodness of God in delivering them out of the hands of their enemies; and they knew it was because of their repentance and their humility that they had been delivered from an everlasting destruction."

In church our bishop has been emphasizing the importance of hymns. Before the sacrament is passed we are reminded to think about the words of the hymn as we sing. I have started to try and memorize the songs and focus on the chorister instead of the hymn book while singing. I can think about the words better when it coming from memory than from a book. The words are powerful, just like scriptures, they touch my heart. 

Today I went to the American Rally in Provo for the presidential candidate of my choice. At the very beginning we were asked to rise for the singing of our national anthem. I, as others in the crowd, started to look around for the flag. It wasn't on the stage it was behind us on the wall. So the whole crowd turned their back to the singer to see the flag as we placed our hands over our hearts. It might have been her sole but we couldn't help it, we all started singing together. I had such a flood of emotions. But, the most powerful thing that came to me was how singing as one united us together. It was fitting that we didn't just listen, we sang. I felt the spirit and wept.

Tonight was also the Provo City Center Temple Cultural Celebration. It was a long day and I wanted to sit and rest. So I went an hour early to my stake center to wait for the broadcast. I had planned on reading my scriptures while waiting, but instead I sat and just listened to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir streaming in the chapel. It was the best thing I could have done I truly came to rest. Then the actual broadcast began and we all united in song, and again I thought of the earlier events of the day and the importance of singing together as one.

Now I come home and read this verse about the Nephites singing, praising God for being preserved. I could really picture them doing that, they would not be very different than me. I know the hymns are prayers of the heart. They inspire and move men. They unite people together. They unite them in worshiping their God. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment