Thursday, March 17, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 2:1

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 2:1
"And it came to pass that thus passed away the ninety and fifth year also, and the people began to forget those signs and wonders which they had heard, and began to be less and less astonished at a sign or a wonder from heaven, insomuch that they began to be hard in their hearts, and blind in their minds, and began to disbelieve all which they had heard and seen--"

I had to ponder on the signs and wonders from heaven. No where does it say what they were. If it had been some type of attack or destruction sent from heaven it would haven been mentioned. Those always seem to be recorded very well.

I think it means they were sacred things. Experiences that were then shared with each other. They were talked about so openly that they became common. To the point it allowed some to doubt their claims. There was something wrong in the way they were handled, if it caused their hearts to harden, and not soften. 

It made me think about some of the spiritual experiences I have shared, and those that I don't. I have long learned that sacred experiences can only be shared with permission by the spirit. If I share them without confirmation my motives are wrong, and I am in danger of pride. It definitely causes the loss of humility. The heavens close on me when I share things I shouldn't. Now I think I see that its not just what the telling of sacred things does to me, its what it does to the listener. The hearing of sacred things when the spirit is not present hardens the heart. That's even more devastating of a crime. It makes sense now why those actual signs and wonders are not even named.

I cannot help but wonder if this applies to the retelling of sacred experiences I have heard about others? I know I love a good faith promoting story and even more so when others join in too. I never thought of the effect it may have on all parties. I have to sit and think about my roll in this, why would those experiences be any different than the way I handle mine? 

No comments:

Post a Comment