Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Helaman 3:33-35

Today's Favorite Verse: Helaman 3:33-35
"And in the fifty and first year of the reign of the judges there was peace also, save it were the pride which began to enter into the church - not into the church of God, but into the hearts of the people who professed to belong to the church of God - 
And they were lifted up in pride, even to the persecution of many of their brethren. Now this was a great evil, which did cause the more humble part of the people to suffer great persecutions, and to wade through much affliction.
Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God."

I thought it very interesting the difference between those that belonged to the church and those that belonged to the church of God. You can go to church and be a member, but not belong to the church of God, if you're lifted up in your pride and persecute your brethren. 

Sadly, I have experienced persecution by those that should have been my brethren. Yes, I can see pride as their motivation in behaving in such a way. Otherwise, they gave every appearance of being a good church going person. I didn't fast about it, but I can tell you it made me pray a lot about my circumstance. Eventually it caused us to move to Utah which I think was the whole point about the direction the Lord was trying to lead us. He allowed us to be uncomfortable where we were, so we would go where he wanted us. 

I can say I learned so much from that experience and others. It did bring me closer to God. Those that persecute have no idea what they are really doing. Pride will blind you to how much greater the Lord loves them you think of no worth. On my end I would say the experience was totally worth it. Sadly, I do know that isn't what happens to everyone. This scriptures gives the key to how to handle such experiences. You fast and pray, turn your sorrow and pain to the Lord and he will comfort you. The blessings that come from that are greater than any praise a man can offer me.



No comments:

Post a Comment