Sunday, March 27, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 12:13-14, 18, 20, 26, 32, 34

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 12:13-14, 18, 20, 26, 32, 34
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the salt of the earth; but if the salt shall lose its savor wherewith shall the earth be salted? The salt shall be thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out and to be trodden under foot of men.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.
For verily I say unto you, one jot nor one tittle hath not passed away from the law, but in me it hath all been fulfilled.
Therefore come unto me and be ye saved; for verily I say unto you, that except ye shall keep my commandments, which I have commanded you at this time, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Verily, verily, I say unto thee, thou shalt by no means come out thence until thou hast paid the uttermost senine. And while ye are in prison can ye pay even one senine? Verily, verily, I say unto you, Nay.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery; and whoso shall marry her who is divorced committeth adultery.
But verily, verily, I say unto you, swear not at all; neither by heaven, for its is God's throne;

The Lord, Jesus Christ called twelve apostles, to minister to the people in this land. Giving them power and authority to baptize in his name. After they were to be baptized with water, the Lord would baptize them with fire and the Holy Ghost. Then the Savior instructed them on his commandments and the new law. The Beatitudes are given and I sat and compared them with Matthew 5. There are a few words added that simply clarify, but they are important. Matthew 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven". In 3 Nephi 11:3 "Yea, blessed are the poor in spirit who come unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven". 

The one thing I really pondered on is when the Lord says Verily. This is something I have been trying to figure out for a long time, because I know there is a pattern here. In 3 Nephi when the Savior is speaking to his people he says Verily 45 times, in this chapter its 14 times. Sometimes I see a pattern of one, two or three verily in a row. This pattern makes me think of the woe or wo's in the scriptures. The more wo's the greater the warning of coming destruction. You better pay attention to the wo's. So what is going on with the Verily? I sat and pondered on this I went back and forth between the wo's and the verily's and I think I finally received an answer. The wo's are when the Lord is warning the wicked. The verily's are when he is warning the righteous. Even though I may be born again I could lose my way, or not live up to what is expected of me. I better pay attention to the verily's for he is talking to me. Even though I might be saved now, the Lord is giving a warning to help me stay that way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment