Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Acts 21:4

Today's Favorite Verse: Acts 21:4
"And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem."

In this chapter on three occasions it appears others tell Paul by the spirit and of prophesy not to go to Jerusalem. I wondered then why Paul still went? The people after trying to persuade Paul ceased and said, "The will of the Lord be done."  So this all made me wonder if Paul was really suppose to go, and he suffered because he didn't listen?  Or, was Paul inspired to go even knowing what would happen to him? I don't have an answer but it made me think about what I would have done if I was Paul. I settled in myself that I would be like Paul and go if the spirit had told me that I still needed to go, even if it meant I suffered. It reminded me of Joseph Smith going to Carthage even though he knew it would lead to his death.

"Some of Joseph's closest associates had heard him say, "I am going like a lamb to the slaughter; but I am calm as a summer's morning; I have a conscience void of offense towards God, and towards all men. I shall die innocent, and it shall yet be said of me—he was murdered in cold blood" (D&C 135:4). Two days before they left Nauvoo, Hyrum had similarly prophesied, "Just as sure as we fall into their hands we are dead men" (History of the Church, 6:545). ("Knowledge of God's Plan", The Prophet's Legacy)

Paul said "What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."
(Acts 21:13)



Day 1612



No comments:

Post a Comment