Friday, September 1, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Kings 22:6-8

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Kings 22:6-8
"Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, about four hundred men, and said unto them, Shall I go against Ramoth-gilead to battle, or shall I forbear?  And they said, Go up; for the Lord shall deliver it into the hand of the king.
And Jehoshaphat said, Is there not here a prophet of the Lord besides, that we might inquire of him?
And the king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat, There is yet one man, Micaiah the son of Imlah, by whom we may inquire of the Lord: but I hate him; for he doth not prophesy good concerning me, but evil. And Jehoshaphat said, Let not the king say so."

At first I wondered how you could have 400 prophets. Then I saw that Jehoshaphat asks for a prophet of the Lord. I realized that when the king of Israel asked his prophets what he should do, they never mentioned they inquired of the Lord. The king of Israel is Ahab who obviously had sold "himself to work wickedness in the sight of the Lord" (1 Kings 21:25) again. These prophets may have said the Lord shall deliver, but they did not say they asked him.

Why did Ahab not like the prophet Micaiah? Because he didn't prophesy good concerning him. Is there any wonder in that? Then I pondered on how this is like people today. We want to get everyone else's opinion first and not inquire of the Lord. Then when we hear a prophet we don't like what they have to tell us. We think them outdated and out of touch. They couldn't possibly understand our situation. Yeah, I've seen this. Sadly I think I've been at times there. I don't ever want to be there again. I have found following the opinions of others and not the Lord's just leads me to foolishness.


Day 888

No comments:

Post a Comment