Thursday, September 28, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Chronicles 2:1-2

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Chronicles 2:1-2
"These are the sons of Israel; Reuben, Simeon, Levi and Judah, Issachar, and Zebulun,
Dan, Joseph, and Benjamin, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher."

The chapter heading says "The descendants of Israel, Judah, Jesse, Caleb, and others are listed."

I was trying to follow these genealogies and it was jumping around. Then I paid attention to the chapter heading and figured out there were multiple family lines here. That leaves me the second time today the chapter heading of the scriptures have given important context to what I was reading. I always read them but it is worth recording how important they are. I think of how challenging it must have been to prepare these chapter headings.

I went back and found the talk by Elder Boyd K. Packer in the October 1982 LDS General Conference talk "Scriptures". He gives the story of the printing of the new edition of the Kings James Bible with footnotes and cross-referencing to the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. Now they were inspired to format the footnotes, and a host of other things.

These are some of the references I found.



https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1982/10/scriptures?lang=eng

The Coming Forth of the LDS Editions of Scripture - Aug 1983 Ensign
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1983/08/the-coming-forth-of-the-lds-editions-of-scripture?lang=eng


Day 915




No comments:

Post a Comment