Saturday, September 23, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 22:2

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 22:2
"And he did that which was right in the sight of the Lord, and walked in all the way of David this father, and turned not aside to the right hand or to the left."

This is another verse that I have read many times. This time I was struck by the "turned not aside to the right or to the left". Many times I have just pictured being on a faithful course directly towards the Lord and not deviating. This time I thought what does going to the right or left exactly mean?. The left is usually a bad direction, the right is usually choosing righteousness, following the Lord.

So the question came to me, "Can a person go to the right, thinking they are on the course of righteousness, and be lead off course?" The answer to me was an astounding YES!!  You can get swallowed up in a gospel hobby and be lead into forbidden paths. All the time thinking you are becoming more righteous or more knowledgeable than others. Yeah, that's the old pride thing again. I've gotten caught up in that. I've seen others get caught up in that. It is a very real danger. The thing that has saved me is that warning voice, troubling my soul with the course I am on. I had to stop and take stock of where I really was, and acknowledge I was way off course. That means forsaking the path I am on and turning back to the fundamentals of the gospel. It's the basics of the gospel that keep me on the path leading towards Christ. Listening for the still small voice, and following the prophets. It is hard work to not become swayed by the enticing voices that come from either side of me. Even more so when the people have every appearance of being righteous. Being obedient to reading my scriptures daily and looking for the simplicity of the gospel is becoming an insulator to those contenting voices. This gives the verse "..strait is the gate, and narrow is the way" deeper meaning for me.


Day 910

No comments:

Post a Comment