Friday, September 15, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 14:10, 19

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 14:10, 19
"Thou hast indeed smitten Edom, and thine heart hath lifted thee up: glory of this, and tarry at home: for why shouldest thou meddle to thy hurt, that thou shouldest fall, even thou, and Judah with thee?
Now they made a conspiracy against him in Jerusalem: and he fled to Lachish; but they sent after him to Lachish, and slew him there."

This chapter is on Amaziah son of Joash king of Judah. I have to say the generations and names are beginning to blur on me. Totally wish I had kept a genealogy of all these kings, it would help keep things straight in my mind.

As I read these verses all I could think of is "Pride goeth before a fall", which is actually based on this verse.

"Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall."
(Proverbs 16:18)

Destruction, rather it be physical or spiritual comes as an end result of pride. It is a very damaging and destructive thing. The very think I have to work my hardest at. Humility isn't a natural state. It's something that has to be continually worked at. When I think I'm getting close to it, it just left. Sure hope I can figure that one out some day.

I know monitoring it and continually checking myself, on where I stand is helping. Well at least I can tell what my danger signs are and hear when warning bells begin to ring. Yup, you just crossed the line and went out of bounds on that one. What I want is to not even cross that line. Maybe I need supersonic hearing so I hear the warning bells the moment they are triggered, and not when the decibels get unbearable. That's actually given me some good thoughts to ponder on. Maybe its not so bad to hear warning bells if I hear them when I first touch the line. The warning bell is the spirit and that is exactly his role. What I need, is to be able to hear the still small voice of the spirit, before it has to shout. What protects against pride is drawing closer to the spirit.


Day 902

No comments:

Post a Comment