Sunday, September 17, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 16:2-4

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 16:2-4
"Twenty years old was Ahaz when he began to reign, and reigned sixteen years in Jerusalem, and did not that which was right in the sight of the Lord his God, like David his father.
But he walked in the way of the kings of Israel, yea, and made his son to pass through the fire, according to the abominations of the heathen, whom the Lord cast out from before the children of Israel.
And he sacrificed and burnt incense in the high places, and on the hills, and under every green tree."

As I have been reading through the reign of the different kings I have found it interesting how many times I am told that the king did right or wrong in the sight of the Lord, yet it goes on to mention that the "high places" remained. In these cases it is referencing pagan worshipping and not the holy temple. I have wondered how you can be a righteous king and let the "high places" remain? Maybe they didn't touch them but they gave their people the right to worship how they wanted? I do wonder what Israel would be like if just one of those kings had removed them completely from the land? Then I thought of my land and those that are pagan worshippers. Even if they know they are one or not. I can't remove them. Because they are around me doesn't make me wicked or effected by them. There will be opposition in all things. It seems the message is do what is right and the things of wickedness will have no power over you.

Ahaz not only sacrifices his son by fire, he then perverts the ways of the Lord and changes the method of sacrifices in the temple. This is the risk that you run when you touch the things you're not suppose too.


Day 904


No comments:

Post a Comment