Saturday, June 3, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Judges 12:1

Today's Favorite Verse: Judges 12:1
"And the men of Ephraim gathered themselves together, and went northward, and said unto Jephthah, Wherefore passedst thou over to fight against the children of Ammon, and didst not call us to go with thee? we will burn thine house upon thee with fire."

As I read this chapter, which in the end 42,000 Ephraimites are killed, and wondered why?  It all started in this first verse. The men of Ephraim were offended that they were not invited to join in battle against the children of Ammon. Which actually they were asked but they didn't answer the call when it came. Which may explain some guilt going on too. For the perceived offense they think they have a right to threaten to burn the Gildeadites homes. How do you even get to the point to think that is ok?

I sat and pondered on how serious a thing it is to take offense, because of the actions of another. Once you are offended you can take things totally out of control. So I pondered on when I have been offended and what caused it. It was sadly really easy for me to do, because it happened the other day. I realized the times I have been offended is when I am full of pride. When I am in a more humble state I don't become offended by others actions. So even before I get to the state of being offended I have to loose my humility, and go into the realm of pride. When I am offended there far more serious things going on in the background. I have a constant battle with my pride. It is extremely important for me to setup checkpoints to monitor myself and catch it at the loosing humility stage where the slippery slop downward all begins.


Day 798

No comments:

Post a Comment