Thursday, June 1, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Judges 10:13-14

Today's Favorite Verse: Judges 10:13-14
"Yet ye have forsaken me, and served other gods: wherefore I will deliver you no more.
Go and cry unto the gods which ye have chosen; let them deliver you in the time of your tribulations."

The children again did evil in the sight of the Lord, by going after other gods. They served Him no longer. Finally he tells them I will deliver you no more. I sat horrified at the thought of being told that. Then I realized I won't be told such a thing if I remain faithful to the Lord. He cannot deliver a people that do not love him.

I reflected on how people can turn to other gods, that will not save them, and then call on the Lord when the price of their sins are at the door. False gods cannot save, they bring false pleasures that consume and destroy. What a contrast of what the Lord can do for me.

Israel appears to humble themselves, repent "and they put away the strange gods from among them, and served the Lord; and his soul was grieved for the misery of Israel." (Judges 10:16)

The reference for grieved in HEB is "at the end of patience, exasperated". It does not sound like God accepted what they did. I think they had an outward appearance of turning to him but their hearts were still far from him. Sitting on the fence ready to turn to the right or the left, to whatever god will save them. I remember sitting on such a fence, there is no comfort or peace in such a position. The only thing there is, is continual dread of what the future will bring. Only with a face and heart turned to God, forsaking all others, is there internal peace.


Day 796

No comments:

Post a Comment