Monday, June 19, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 3:9-10

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 3:9-10
"Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place.
And the Lord came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth."

As I was reading this familiar story I happened to recall the times I have heard my name called out. And yet, there was no one there. I know I am not alone in having such a thing happen. Our family has at times remarked on such behavior. I have experienced being woken up from a sound sleep, both in the middle of the night and during my afternoon naps, hearing my name called out. Sometimes it has been accompanied by a rapid patting of my foot. Like someone telling me it's time to get up!

I can never fall back to sleep when it happens. Having been left with the impression that someone wants me to get back to work right now. From that I have assumed, but never inquired, that the person calling my name needed their temple work done. I simply get up and get to work on my family history no matter the hour. It was only now I realize I never assumed it was the Lord calling my name. The next time I experience such a thing I will assume it is His voice and say "Speak, Lord for thy servant heareth." Then I will work as he directs me. For I have been very much like Samuel in looking for Eli when my name has been called. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but what if there was more?


Day 814

No comments:

Post a Comment