Saturday, May 18, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Matthew 8:8, 10, 13

Today's Favorite Verse: Matthew 8:8, 10, 13
"The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.
When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour."

Last night as I was sleeping I was dreaming of stories of Jesus. The thought came to me, "What do all these people that were healed have in common?" The answer was, they all had a personal relationship or interaction with the Savior. He had to touch them to heal or speak, commanding an evil spirit to leave them. Then the story of the centurion's servant being healed came to me. I marvel this morning, having altered the time I am reading the New Testament, that I find this very story here. It is something I needed to pondered on.

I woke with this question, "Why was the Centurion's servant healed when he had no personal interaction with the Savior?" As I pondered these verses the answer came as I read the words of the centurion, on how he knew his servant could be healed.

"For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it." 

Then I saw the application, that if the one with authority has a personal relationship with the Savior he can heal those under his stewardship as directed. Is there such a thing on the earth today?  Yes there is. It is the restored priesthood of God on the earth today. Peter, James and John came to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery and restored those priesthood keys. The line of authority continues to this day. I have had such blessings and been healed. How miraculous it is to think that is showing the faith of a centurion. 

I am reminded of Thomas, that would not believe the resurrected Lord appeared to the other apostles until he saw Him with his own eyes. When the Lord appeared to him he believed and said "My Lord and my God." Then " Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." (John 20:28-29)

The Lord is asking us to be centurions and not doubting Thomas' until he once again returns to this earth. He has not left us comfortless. I am injured and have had blessings and not been healed. Why is that?  So the works of God can be made manifest. So I can learn and apply scripture verses to me while I wait in faith. So, I can show I still believe even when I have not seen.

Restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood, by Walter Rane

Day 1512

No comments:

Post a Comment