Sunday, May 13, 2018

Today's Favorite Verse: Psalms 89:9

Today's Favorite Verse: Psalms 89:9
"Thou rulest the raging of the sea: when the waves thereof arise, thou stillest them."

This is a messianic psalm. "A song setting forth the mercy, greatness, justice, and righteousness of the Holy One of Israel - The Lord will establish David's seed and throne forever - God's Firstborn will be made higher than the kings of the earth."

As I read this verse I thought about the story of Jesus. Where he entered a ship with is disciples. As he slept a great tempest arose in the sea. They awoke him "Saying, Lord, save us: we perish"

"And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm."
(Matthew 8:26)

The story in Mark is slightly different with his disciples saying:

"Master, carest thou not that we perish?"
And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
(Mark  4:37-40)



I pondered on all the raging seas I have faced in my life. Where life has just tossed me to and fro, I knew not when it would stop. It is only when I have turn to the Lord in faith, asking him to save me, that I have learned of his peace. He does care for me and the fears that I have, and will carry them for me if I but ask. He stills my soul and brings peace while the tempest are raging. Through this I have come to know and to love Him. He does rescue me.


Day 1142

No comments:

Post a Comment