Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Kings 6:1, 29-30

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Kings 6:1, 29-30
"And it came to pass in the four hundred and eightieth year after the children of Israel were come out of the land of Egypt, in the fourth year of Solomon's reign over Israel, in the month of Zif, which is the second month, that he began to build the house of the Lord.
And he carved all the walls of the house round about with carved figures of cherubims and palm trees and open flowers, within and without.
And the floor of the house he overlaid with gold, within and without"

It made me cry to realize how long God's people had to wait before they would have a temple. It was the very first temple of God. The tabernacle was before it, but this was a permanent structure.  There was no wonder that such precious things went into it. For this was the house of the Lord, and it deserved the best of what they had.

I was once asked why my faith puts so much money into building our temples, when the money could have been given to the poor. I think in materials the temple of Solomon cost far more than what is put into the temple's today. We do not have gold covering the walls, doors, and floors. It is more modest in comparison, but nonetheless of the highest quality and beauty.

Christ said "For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always." (John 12:8)

As I sit quietly in the temple and pondered I have no idea the financial status of the person sitting next to me. I have been poor, and in ways still am, and my soul has been comforted by knowing I belong. I cannot explain the rest it has given my soul to sit in such beautiful peaceful surroundings when I could never have that beauty in my home. The temple offers more to me than any handout anyone could have given me. As I have come to rely on the Lord he has provided for me. I have come to learn that if you want to bless the poor, you bring them to the house of the Lord. In His holy temple he gives more than money can ever buy.


Day 872

No comments:

Post a Comment