Thursday, August 24, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Kings 14:2-3

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Kings 14:2-3
"And Jeroboam said to his wife, Arise, I pray thee, and disguise thyself, that thou be not known to be the wife of Jeroboam; and get thee to Shiloh: behold, there is Ahijah the prophet, which told me that I should be king over this people.
And take with thee ten loaves, and cracknels, and a cruse of honey, and go to him: he shall tell thee what shall become of the child."

Jeroboam's son Abijah is sick and he tells his wife to disguise herself and visit the prophet Ahijah. He wanted to know what would happen to the child. I found it interesting that he didn't send his wife to seek a blessing to make his son well. He wanted a fortune teller, not a prophet. This made me sit and ponder on a number of things. The prophet is not deceived at all, the Lord prepared him for her coming. The words that the prophet spoke were not of any comfort. In fact the chastisement and rebuke are very strong. The "fortune telling" he receives is the end of his kingdom. I pondered on how anyone that uses a prophet or the priesthood to seek for a sign or divination will hear words they wished they never heard. It will be a cursing instead of a blessing. It did make me think of someone I knew that used priesthood blessings in such a manner. What they really wanted was someone to tell them their future. It is little wonder that person has since apostatized.


Day 880

No comments:

Post a Comment