Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Kings 12:26-28

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Kings 12:26-28
"And Jeroboam said in his heart, Now shall the kingdom return to the house of David:
If this people go up to do sacrifice in the house of the Lord at Jerusalem, then shall the heart of this people turn again unto their lord, even unto Rehoboam king of Judah, and they shall kill me, and go again to Rehoboam king of Judah.
Whereupon the king took counsel, and made two calves of gold, and said unto them, It is too much for you to go up to Jerusalem: behold thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt."

Jeroboam was only looking to himself and his gain. He is a classic story of someone setting up a priestcraft. He didn't want the people to go up to Jerusalem to worship in the house of the Lord, because he was afraid of losing them. Then he sets up his own version of things to worship. Even down to feasts. It's all an imitation of what God offers, mingled with what is pleasing to man. I pondered on how the people could even accept what he offered.

He offered them two golden calves to worship. Don't they know the story of Moses receiving the ten commandments and the the children of Israel having Aaron make the golden calf? Then I thought maybe they didn't. Maybe it has been so long since it happened that they no longer tell the stories to their children. Maybe they are not reading the scriptures as they should. I pondered on the danger the saints today can have too in not doing this. How important it is to read the scriptures daily. To know these stories and apply them in my life every day. There are so many lessons to learn from each story that I can never tire of studying the scriptures and pondering them in my heart. From this story I can see how easy it can be to be lead astray by false doctrine when I do not have the scriptures written upon my heart.


Day 878

No comments:

Post a Comment