Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Leviticus 11:46-47

Today's Favorite Verse: Leviticus 11:46-47
"This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth:
To make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten."

As I read the description of the animals that could be eaten and those that could not, I tried to understand it for my day. I don't live the law of Moses, since Christ fulfilled it. I do live the Word of Wisdom as found in Doctrine & Covenants section 89. I pondered on how God knows the day we live in and how he has laws that fit our day. I wondered how many Israelites were spared sickness and death in their day for living and practicing what was taught in this chapter? I pondered on the Word of Wisdom for my day and how it protects me too.

Then I though of the story of Peter and Cornelius as found in Acts 10. Cornelius was an uncircumcised gentile, and yet a devout man that feared God, In a vision an angel came to him and told him to call for Simon Peter and where he was staying. Cornelius sent servants to get Peter and while they were coming Peter fell into a trance and saw a vessel descend like a sheet with the four corners gathered together let down to earth. Inside were all manner of animals that were unclean. Peter was told to kill and eat them. Each time he said "Not so Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean." The voice told him "What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common." This vision repeated 3 times to Peter. While pondering on what the vision meant Cornelius' men were arriving to get Peter. The Spirit told Peter that three men seek him. He was to arise, go down with them and doubt nothing, for he had sent them. On meeting Cornelius Peter's eyes were opened and then he understood the need to bring the gospel to the gentiles. The time was ready and they were clean. 

So just like foods I eat and don't eat. There was a time for when the gospel was preached and to whom. First to the Jews and then to the Gentiles. I cannot help but think of how Peter would not have understood this message if he had not lived the law of Moses first. With Christ fulfillment of the law of Moses, it now opened the door for the gospel to be preached to the four corners of the earth. There is a time and a purpose for the laws God has me live. Through a living prophet I can know His will for my day.


Day 676

No comments:

Post a Comment