Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Numbers 5:29-31

Today's Favorite Verse: Numbers 5:29-31
"This is the law of jealousies, when a wife goeth aside to another instead of her husband, and is defiled;
Or when the spirit of jealousy cometh upon him, and he be jealous over his wife, and shall set the woman before the Lord, and the priest shall execute upon her all this law.
Then shall the man be guiltless from iniquity, and this woman shall bear her iniquity."

This chapter appears to be speaking of adultery. The wronged party needed to give an offering to the priest for his wife because of his jealousy. I remembered a discussion I had at work many years ago. I worked the graveyard shift at a call center and we would talk about the most random stuff at times. I was on a call so I missed most of the conversation but when I got off the phone I was asked what I would do if my spouse cheated on me. Would I automatically divorce him?

My reply was it depended on his attitude. If he had a repentant heart or not. If he was repenting of the sin and wanted to make things work then I would forgive. So, no I would not divorce for adultery. I then found out I was the only one in the group with that opinion. It had not occurred to any of them to consider the person's attitude and forgiveness. They were all for revenge for being wronged. With this verse I can see the sin of jealousy on the side of the wronged party. It is every bit an iniquity on their end. Jealousy would include an unforgiving heart. It confirmed my opinion on the matter stated so long ago. I would not let another person's sin, cause me to sin too.


Day 697


No comments:

Post a Comment