Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Leviticus 17:7-9

Today's Favorite Verse: Leviticus 17:7-9
"And they shall no more offer their sacrifices unto devils, after whom they have gone a whoring. This shall be a statute for ever unto them throughout their generations.
And thou shalt say unto them, Whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers which sojourn among you, that offereth a burnt offering or sacrifice,
And bringeth it not unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, to offer it unto the Lord; even that man shall be cut off from among his people."

I was following the footnotes on these verses and came to Doctrine and Covenants 132:9 "Will I accept of an offering, saith the Lord, that is not made in my name?" Then in verses 14-15 I read.

"Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world.
Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory."

Interestingly, during family scripture study we happened to venture onto the topic of marrying outside of the faith, or not having a temple marriage. I was of the opinion it was far better to not marry at all than to do that. For you are giving up the opportunity for an eternal companion in the next life. I knew this was in the scriptures, and all I could do was roughly quote from memory these verses. Now here it is! It amazes me when I am looking for something I soon stumble upon the very thing through regular scripture study. I love seeing how answers to questions come.

The connection between a stranger among you, and being cut off, makes totally sense when I see it in the light of marrying outside of the faith. To give up a temple marriage for something of this world, has eternal implications. 


Day 682

No comments:

Post a Comment