Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Numbers 11:9-10

Today's Favorite Verse: Numbers 11:9-10
"And when the dew fell upon the camp in the night, the manna fell upon it.
Then Moses heard the people weep throughout their families, every man in the door of his tent: and the anger of the Lord was kindled greatly; Moses also was displeased."

The children of Israel are tired of eating manna for so long that they begin to complain. I recalled my recent lesson in complaining. Sunday we had a Stake Women's Fireside, a musical parable of The Ten Virgins. It was a performance I have wanted to see for a very long time. I was tired after church that morning, so I decided to take a nap. The fireside was at 5:30 pm, so I set my alarm for 5:00 pm giving me 1.5 hrs to sleep. Surely I wouldn't sleep that long. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was sound asleep. Next thing I knew I woke up without hearing any alarm. I looked towards the clock and it was 5:34 pm. How did I miss that alarm? I knew the spirit had woken me, but as I rushed to get to the church at the end of the street I chided the spirit, "Why couldn't you have awoken me at least in time to be there before it started?" In fact I was a little mad that it hadn't. All the while thinking to myself I really should be grateful the spirit woke me at all. I was totally conflicted.

I walked in late with the presentation already started. The only seat was in the very back, behind a very tall head. I spent a lot of time focusing on my distractions. What did I miss? This is hard I can't see. It took a while for my soul to calm down. I actually closed my eyes to listen to the words and songs to stop the noises in my head. That made things a little better. It was a beautiful presentation.

Afterwards talking with friends I found out I came in just as it started. So I really didn't miss much. I then came home to read my scriptures and something wasn't right. I couldn't focus on what I was reading. Then I thought of my chiding the spirit for what I had considered not waking me in time. I had to stop and admit how wrong I was in what I had done. I needed to express my gratitude to the Lord, for he did actually wake me in time. Left on my own I could have slept through the night and missed the whole thing. Hadn't I learned by now his timing is better than my own, and he will take care of me? It is only with the spirit of gratitude, for what the Lord has blessed me with, that I can be ready to receive more. With that spirit now I was ready to read and ponder the scriptures, and put oil in my lamp. 


Day 703

No comments:

Post a Comment