Monday, October 31, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 8:20

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 8:20
"And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar."

After surviving the flood and coming out of the ark Noah offered sacrifices to the Lord. I realized this wasn't an offering because of something he wanted. It was an offering in gratitude for what the Lord had done for him and his family. I'm sure there was an element of mourning for those that were lost. But in my heart I feel it was more to rejoice. This caused me to ask myself "Do I express my gratitude often enough to the Lord for all that he has done for me?" I realized the answer is no.

We don't offer animal sacrifices any more, because Christ fulfilled the law of Moses. I sat and pondered on what sacrifice I can make today to rejoice in all that the Lord has done for me. For some reason I thought of fasting for joy. For in fasting my heart is the most broken and contrite, which is what Christ said he wanted of me. Is there anything in the scriptures that show people fasting for joy?

I found in Doctrine & Covenants 59:13-16
"...that thy fasting may be perfect, or, in other words, that thy joy may be full.
Verily, this is a fasting and prayer, or in other words rejoicing and prayer.
And inasmuch as ye do these things with thanksgiving, with cheerful hearts and countenances, not with much laughter, for this is sin, but with a glad heart and a cheerful countenance.
Verily I say, that inasmuch as ye do this, the fulness of the earth is yours,"

I have come to realize I need to make my fasting more joyful. It should be a time of gratitude for all the Lord has done for me. A time to just draw closer to him, and not looking for something I want. I have much thinking to do on this, for this coming Sunday is my day set aside to fast. I think this could be a paradigm shift for me regarding the law of the fast.


Day 583


No comments:

Post a Comment