Thursday, October 27, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 4:3, 5

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 4:3, 5
"And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.
But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell."

When I was reading Moses chapter 5 a couple weeks ago I pondered on Cain's offering and why it was offensive to God. As I read this story again this time I noticed the path to apostasy. No one jumps from righteousness to wickedness over night. It takes a "process of time" for Satan to "carefully lead us down to hell".  Eventually the desire to please the Lord is completely removed from us. It can even turn to mocking. Then when it's pointed out to us that what we are doing is not acceptable to the Lord, anger comes and the spirit is completely gone from that man. 

So there are signs to watch out for. First is where my heart is, and who I am trying to please. I'm sure there are not many wicked people that would say they are trying to please Satan. What they think they are trying to please is themselves. That is the very lie Satan would have them believe. For to please themselves is to please only Satan. To please the Lord and do his will, the master I am serving is clear. So as soon as I stop trying to please the Lord I know I am in dangerous territory. 

The next sign is anger at any type of reproof or correction. At that point I would have lost the ability to be humble and teachable like a little child. If the desire is to please myself and get ahead, I wouldn't want anyone to deviating me from that path. The wicked do take the truth to be hard. The very fact of that is the anger that comes from them. 

Of course I know where all this lead Cain. But, no one is beyond becoming a Cain even me, if the desire of my heart is no longer to please God, but only myself. 


Day 579

No comments:

Post a Comment