Monday, October 3, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 136:1-3

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 136:1-3
"The Word and Will of the Lord concerning the Camp of Israel in their journeyings to the West:
Let all the people of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and those who journey with them, be organized into companies, with a covenant and promise to keep all the commandments and statutes of the Lord our God.
Let the companies be organized with captains of hundreds, captains of fifties, and captains of tens, with a president and his two counselors at their head, under the direction of the Twelve Apostles."

This chapter contains the direction Brigham Young was given at Winter Quarters (the camp of Israel), as they prepared to make their journey west. It reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my sons Saturday night. He and I were in the kitchen as his father and brother were watching the Priesthood Session of LDS General Conference in the living room. I wasn't paying attention so I don't know what prompted my son to remark. "One thing you have to say about the Church is that it's organized."  I told him that in the scriptures we are told that His house would be a house of order. We can see the order in the Church and that it testifies how indeed it is Christ's Church for there is order in it. Until that moment I hadn't really thought about that. What a sense of peace it must have given the saints as they were leaving to go west to see order in the manner they were to travel. Order in God's kingdom does bring comfort and peace, no matter what turmoil is around you.

Day 555


No comments:

Post a Comment