Friday, October 21, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Joseph Smith - Matthew 1:9

Today's Favorite Verse: Joseph Smith - Matthew 1:9
"And many false prophets shall arise, and shall deceive many;" 

I have finished the book of Abraham and am now in Joseph Smith - Matthew. The chapter headers says it is "An extract from the translation of the Bible as revealed to Joseph Smith the Prophet in 1831: Matthew 23:39 and chapter 24."

As I read this I could see why this chapter was chosen. It speaks to the Second Coming of the Son of Man. As I read I had so many thoughts, but the verse I chose struck me because it has also been something I had been noticing around me. Trying to put my finger on what I have been seeing.

What is a false prophet? I would think it is someone that teaches the philosophies of man and tries to make them appear to be the words of Christ. They are setting themselves up to be a light to others, when what they preach contains darkness to deceive. What has been troubling my soul is seeing good people twist scripture stories to uphold wickedness. I have seen the stories of Samson, King David, Saul of Tarsus, later known as Paul, Alma the younger, and others used to basically say "God will save us in our sins". That God will use wicked people for his purposes. Sadly the false belief is that the purpose will be to their good. There is never acknowledgement that God used earlier prophets and saints as examples of what happens when we do repent and when we don't. He could only use the prophets when they humbled themselves and repented. The only way God can use a wicked man, that does not repent, is to punish the wicked.   

Now I know what I have been seeing around me, false prophets, and there are many of them. They are lying to us that God will save us in our sins. God can only save us when we turn from sin and come unto him. Every time I see a false prophet I have turned away. I don't even comment or argue. There is no point. They have been deceived and their ears will no longer hear. Satan has taken a great hold upon their hearts and they are blind. All that would come from my words is uncontrollable anger from them. The only protection I have from them is to turn away. I know they feel they won the battle, because I would never fight. Instead what I have been doing is keeping the spirit close within my heart. The only protection from a false prophet is to have the spirit as my constant companion. Right now that is something I cannot afford to lose. For tonight I realized another sign of Christ's coming is fulfilled in my eyes.

Day 573



No comments:

Post a Comment