Monday, October 10, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Moses 3:2, 4-5

Today's Favorite Verse: Moses 3:2, 4-5
"And on the seventh day I, God, ended my work, and all things which I had made; and I rested on the seventh day from all my work, and all things which I had made were finished, and I, God, saw that they were good;
And now, behold, I say unto you, that these are the generations of the heaven and of the earth, when they were created, in the day that I, the Lord God, made the heaven and earth,
And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth. For I, the Lord God, had not caused it to rain upon the face of the earth. And I, the Lord God, had created all the children of men; and not yet a man to till the ground; for in heaven created I them; and there was not yet flesh upon the earth, neither in the water, neither in the air; "

As I was reading this chapter I ran into a little trial of my faith. For some reason as I read it I thought it was saying God rested on the seventh day and then created man. I didn't think that was right. I went back to Genesis and the scriptures were as I recalled, God rested after he created man. I can't tell you all the thoughts that went through my head. But, I knew there was an explanation and the issue wasn't the scriptures, where they had come from, or who translated it, the problem was me. I wasn't looking at this the right way. The only way to receive an answer was to pray. I humbly asked that my eyes would be made to see and my heart would understand.

I started the chapter over and read more carefully this time. It took several attempts before I could finally see God was recapping the generations of the heaven and earth, and how they were created. Only this time he added the part about creating man in great detail. What a simple explanation. Why didn't I see that earlier? Why the little trial of my faith? Then I knew trials are how I am tested and can grow. I had already come to learn that questions that pop into my head while reading, are the spirit wanting me to sit and ponder over something. This is when I am ready to be taught. The experience today was a new type of gospel question that the spirit gave to me. It was also an opportunity to understand how people can have doubts about the scriptures and the manner in which those questions can be resolved.  


Day 562


No comments:

Post a Comment