Saturday, June 25, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 36:6

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 36:6
"Crying repentance, saying: Save yourselves from this untoward generation, and come forth out of the fire, hating even the garments spotted with the flesh."

I had to pause and ponder on this verse so I could understand the meaning of some phrases. It's so interesting that when I sit and ponder the meaning will unravel to me. I remember in school we would have tests matching phrases to their meanings, such and such is to such and such. I have no idea what you call this exercise, I'm sure it has a name. I would never get it. My brain would just scream "I don't understand what this means!" So I find it so exciting my brain is able to finally grasp this when instructed by the spirit. I have no such ability on my own.

These are the phrases I wanted to understand:
"untoward generation"
"come forth out of the fire"
"garments spotted with the flesh"

I actually didn't get it until I went in reverse. I looked for any scripture reference to the phrase "garments spotted with the flesh". I found Jude 1:23 " And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh".

The word "by" help me understand that a little better. It's talking about taking on the sins of the flesh, that soil my garments and make me unclean from the world. The part "pulling them out of the fire" is similar to "come forth out of the fire". I know that I will be cast into an everlasting fire if I am found marked will the sins of this world in the end. So "come forth out of the fire" means to leave the world behind. This would mean then that the "untoward generation" would be those that do not come towards Christ. They will not come to his outstretched hands. They are moving away from him. 

What I learned is I need to come to Christ, keep myself from the sins of the world, and have garments washed white in his blood. 


Day 455

No comments:

Post a Comment