Monday, June 6, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 17:1

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 17:1
"Behold, I say unto you, that you must rely upon my word, which if you do with full purpose of heart, you shall have a view of the plates, and also of the breastplate, the sword of Laban, the Urim and Thummim, which were given to the brother of Jared upon the mount, when he talked with the Lord face to face, and the miraculous directors which were given to Lehi while in the wilderness, on the borders of the Red Sea."

This chapter is revelation received by the Prophet Joseph Smith on inquiry through the Urim and Thummim, regarding the three witnesses to the Book of Mormon. Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer and Martin Harris were confirmed as those witnesses, and these are the items they would be permitted to view and then testify of there reality. Their later testimony is given at the beginning of the Book of Mormon.

What I found interesting is the mention of the Urim and Thummim. I am told in this verse that the brother of Jared received them when he talked face to face with the Lord. That event happened when he went to the mount Shelem with sixteen small white stones, clear as transparent glass. He asked the Lord to touch them with his finger so they would light the vessels the Jaredites would travel in across the ocean. The brother of Jared saw the finger of the Lord as he touched them and because of this the Lord revealed himself completely as they talked face to face. I have often wondered how these stones were used later since they were able to give off light.

The Urim and Thummim has been described as large spectacles that hooked into the breastplate for support in order to view through for translation. I had suspected at least two of these transparent glass stones became the Urim and Thummim. To me they would fit for being used inside spectacles. Now my question is where did the other 14 stones go? All of them could be seer stones. I can think of 15 people called as prophet, seer and revelator today. We would be one stone short if they had them. I suppose the Urim and Thummin itself would be the last one, since it uses two stones together. Isn't that interesting that there are 16 stones? The prophet would have two. 

Sometimes its just so fun to read the scriptures and see things like this pop up. I love how different sets of scriptures work together in answering questions. As I read thoughts just come into my mind and several months if not years later I stumble on the answers. This is such a marvelous way to learn patience. The Lord will answer as I'm ready to learn. Scripture reading is never boring. 



Day 436

No comments:

Post a Comment