Sunday, June 5, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 16:1, 3

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 16:1, 3
"Hearken, my servant Peter, and listen to the words of Jesus Christ, your Lord and your Redeemer.
And I will tell you that which no man knoweth save me and thee alone-"

This chapter is exactly like the preceding chapter, with one exception. Chapter 16:1 says Peter and in chapter 15:1 it says John. The chapters were given in answer to an inquiry through the Urim and Thummim by the prophet Joseph Smith. Joseph was staying at the Whitmer farm while translating the Book of Mormon. The three Whitmer sons having received a testimony of the work were deeply concerned over the matter of their individual duty. Chapter 14-16 records revelation received for each of them. The thought occurred to me that they are like mini patriarchal blessings. 

I could not help but recall as I read this how upset my daughter was when she compared her patriarchal blessing with one of her friends. Which we have been told never to do. The blessings were similar, but we noted to her there was still differences. All she could see is the same words. She had serious doubts that her blessing was really hers. We tried to no avail to explain that a patriarch using the same verbiage was not unusual. We often use the same phrases in explaining similar things to people. I can think of a good example now with the phrase "I love you". Those words can be said to many people, yet have different meanings. 

My daughters rejection of her patriarchal blessing cast in her mind serious doubts on the church. She ultimately apostatized and left. I wonder now what she would have thought by reading these two chapters? Cannot the Lord say the same words to two people? Is he not the same yesterday, today and forever? It screams out to me the difference - he knows your name. 

"And I will tell you that which no man knoweth save me and thee alone" This speaks volumes on how the Lord will acknowledge us but still speak to us privately. As our relationship with the Lord grows, and that love becomes deeper we will come to understand all the meanings behind the words spoken personally to us. That is exactly what a patriarchal blessing does. Oh, how I wish my daughter had a heart capable of hearing that. My prayer will always be that someday she will.


Day 435

No comments:

Post a Comment