Monday, December 7, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 9:3, 17

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 9:3, 17
"And yet, I being over-zealous to inherit the land of our fathers, collected as many as were desirous to go up to possess the land, and started again on our journey into the wilderness to go up to the land; but we were smitten with famine and sore afflictions; for we were slow to remember the Lord our God.
Yea, in the strength of the Lord did we go forth to battle against the Lamanites; for I and my people did cry mightily to the Lord that he would deliver us out of the hands of our enemies, for we were awakened to a remembrance of the deliverance of our fathers.

This chapter is a record of Zeniff. The two verses I picked show the contrast of what happened as Zeniff went after his own will and pleasure and tried to obtain the land of Lehi-Nephi. The Lord had told the Nephites to flee out of that land and contrary to the Lord's command Zeniff and his people wanted it back. The journey alone to get there was long and hard for them. They suffered, but still didn't remember the Lord.

After making a covenant with king Laman to posses the land, they appeared to prosper. But it was only to make the Lamanites desire their goods. King Laman had wanted all along to put them into bondage so they could glut themselves from their labors. Then the Lamanites started to attack them in their fields and take their flocks and grains. 

At this point Zeniff and his people realize where they had done wrong. They remembered the Lord and prayed that he would deliver them. With the Lord's strength they were able to slay 3,043 Lamanites in a day and night and drive them out of the land. They were still in bondage but at this point they were able to protect themselves.

This made me ponder on the times I have been slow to remember the Lord. I would forget the Lord as everything was going well. Then times would get really bad and oh how quick I was to repent and remember the Lord again. These cycles went on for a long time and were not pleasant at all. I can't recall how many years and cycles I went through this until I finally saw the pattern of what was happening. I knew I had to change.

I decided I needed to remember the Lord all the time and maybe things wouldn't go so bad. I found things got a little easier. It wasn't until I began to rely on the Lord and turn my burdens over to him, that the cycle has finally been broken. So, its not just remembering the Lord, its relying on the Lord that changes the terrible cycle of pain and opposition. Yes, bad things still happen, but the pain and duration has totally changed for the better. When I pass through trials, with the Lord by my side, I know the experience is for my benefit and good. I have been so blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment