Monday, December 28, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 1:21-23

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 1:21-23
"Now there was a strict law among the people of the church, that there should not any man, belonging to the church, arise and persecute those that did not belong to the church, and that there should be no persecution among themselves.
Nevertheless, there were many among them who began to be proud, and began to contend warmly with their adversaries, even unto blows; yea, they would smite one anther with their fists.
Now this was in the second year of the reign of Alma, and it was a cause of much affliction to the church; yea, it was the cause of much trial with the church."

This chapter speaks of Nehor the first to be found practicing priestcraft among the Nephites. How he slew Gideon and was put to death. Yet, Nehor's followers remained and became very clever in how they preached false doctrine and setup their churches for gain. It finally occurred to me this time that the Nephites didn't all belong to the Church of God. They had many churches that believed in God much like we have many different religions today. They believed in God but in their own way. That doesn't mean they were all preaching what was right. 

What stood out to me on these verses was how the church told its members not to contend with others, including other members. Much like our church does today. Yet, there were members that couldn't leave it alone, that had to fight with others. The root cause of that is their pride. Because of their actions it caused much trial for the church. I see that same behavior today.

I know I have at times disagreed with others on doctrine. It takes so much self-control and power to not fight back to not try to prove your point, to just drop things. It really is a sign of pride to keep pressing a point. What heartache that must cause the leaders of the church to see the saints behave this way. What grief it must cause the Lord. When we get to the point we contend nobody wins. We are all losers. The spirit has totally fled.

When pride steps in no one will learn or change an opinion. It is so much better to let people discover the truth on the own. Just leave them with what you said earlier and go your way. It is all I can do at times to not comment back and have the final say. I just went through this last week. I had to chuckle because this person that didn't know me quoted tons of scriptures all to prove their point, said if I would actually read the scriptures I would know that. I could have really humiliated them and showed them proof I did indeed read the scriptures every day. I had some really good comments I could have made, explaining how what they quoted proved my point. 

Instead I felt the spirit tell me walk away now, leave it alone. They will come to the truth themselves if you let them. You will do more damage if you press the point now. Wow, was it difficult to do that right in the middle of them wanting to fight. Right when I had some really good points to make. Right when my pride was taking over, because I knew I was right. The spirit came and warned me right when he needed to. I am grateful I listened because I know by winning I would have helped them lose their soul. I would have been so wrong even if I was right, I would have grieved the church and the Lord. If the spirit has fled nothing will be gained.



No comments:

Post a Comment