Sunday, December 27, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 29:27, 38

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 29:27, 38
"And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land.
Therefore they relinquished their desires for a king, and became exceedingly anxious that every man should have an equal chance throughout all the land; yea, and every man expressed a willingness to answer for his own sins."

King Mosiah speaks to his people regarding his sons not wanting to be king. He presents to them the dangers of having a king, especially an unrighteous king. He presents to them a new form of government, having judges over them. The people after hearing this plan desire this new form of government and to have an equal chance in how it is run.

This made me think again about a Facebook post I saw the other day. A friend commented about the very person I would like to have as president. They and their friends were making comments about how if this person was elected they were afraid it would bring the destruction of our nation. I found that comment so very interesting. In fact I have thought on this for days. Because, the very person they wished to have as president I feel the same way about, that theirs would bring the ruin of our nation.

How can people have two very opposite points of view on what will bring the ruin of our nation? I couldn't come up with a good answer because I didn't want to say one had  righteous motives and the other wicked. That would mean anyone that voted for the person I didn't like would all of a sudden be labeled unrighteous people. I know good people that have political views different than mine. 

Now when I read these verses I see the key is the voice of the people choosing iniquity, that brings the destruction of a nation. I suppose people can be divided politically and have far different opinions and yet the Lord will not destroy them because neither side was choosing iniquity. We have our free agency to pick who we want as our leaders and that means varied opinions are OK with the Lord. 

The danger of the judgment of God on our nation only comes when the voice or majority of the people choose iniquity. The people and programs they support would allow them to stay in their sins. That is when the judgment of God will come. That is when we face destruction. The one thing that brings me comfort is the sin of choosing iniquity is answered on our own heads. The weigh of who I vote for is my burden to bear. I have to think if I'm a minority in my nation when it does choose iniquity, that the Lord will protect his people. I know that never means I escape all problems in life. But, instead what I have to pass through will only be for my good and I will come out better in the end. 

My personal role now is to make sure I am not supporting anyone that promotes or encourages iniquity. Political differences are OK, but supporting iniquity is not. That is the  guiding principle. To support someone that supports sin will be answered on my own head.


No comments:

Post a Comment