Thursday, December 31, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 4:10

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 4:10
"And thus ended the eighth year of the reign of the judges; and the wickedness of the church was a great stumbling-block to those who did not belong to the church; and thus the church began to fail in its progress."

I am once again struck on how not all the Nephites belong to the church of God. It speaks earlier in this chapter how the people suffered greatly from the war with the Lamanites and Amlicites. The people then humbled themselves and many were baptized. With this they prospered in the land. With this wealth came wearing costly apparel and being built up in their pride. That is when we see some of the members of the church of God persecuting others. Setting a bad example and becoming a stumbling-block, causing others to want no part in the church of God.

I can liken that to so many examples I have seen. It only takes one poor example of a member of the Church to make others think all members are that way. For some reason these people get very vocal and destructive. Sometimes I think that the worse damage to the church is done from members within. When people have left the church and then speak bad of it, the source does not sound credible. You know they have an agenda. But, when you have apostate members spreading false doctrine and twisting words that is when terrible damage can be done. The hard thing is you never know who's apostate.
 
I am reminded years ago of a sister for some unknown reason I felt very troubled by. I just couldn't put my finger on why something seemed off. She appeared active and  faithful, even attending the temple with me. I put my concerns aside it simply wasn't my place to doubt her. Then I happened to visit with a recent convert that was having some difficulties with her faith. Come to find out this other sister that concerned me, had given her after baptism, all types of church books to "help her understand the gospel". This sister had been reading them. Then I found out what books she had been given. They were all anti-Mormon based. No wonder this poor convert was confused. Sadly it was learned she wasn't the only new convert to receive such "gifts" after their baptism from this sister.

How this grieved me heart to see the very person to deceive her was someone she had looked to help her learn her way. That is the very worse. It is people like that the Lord will clean house with. I would not want to stand in their shoes. I would not want to be held accountable for deceiving others and causing them to lose their faith. Its one thing for you to lose your faith, but entirely different when you cause others to lose theirs. There will be much to answer for on their heads. May I never be counted among them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment