Saturday, February 27, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 62:45, 49-50

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 62:45, 49-50
"Therefore, Helaman and his brethren went forth, and did declare the word of God with much power unto the convincing of many people of their wickedness, which did cause them to repent of their sins and to be baptized unto the Lord their God.
But notwithstanding their riches, or their strength, or their prosperity, they were not lifted up in the pride of their eyes; neither were they slow to remember the Lord their God; but they did humble themselves exceedingly before him.
Yea, they did remember how great things the Lord had done for them, that he had delivered them from death, and from bonds, and from prisons, and from all manner of afflictions, and he had delivered them out of the hands of their enemies."

Upon receiving word of what has happened to Pahoran and the freeman, Moroni and part of the army go to restore the government. As he passes cities he calls men to arms and they follow. When they finally reach Pahoran the strength of their army is greater than the Lamanites. They are then able to take back the city of Zarahemla, removing the kingsmen and Lamanites that had infested it. Pahoran is restored to the judgment seat. Once the government is restored within, they are then ready to defeat the enemy without. By stratagem they take back the city of Nephihah and not a single man is lost to them. The Nephites are able to restore their liberty and lands and peace comes to them again. 
I had to do a little math here. Moroni was 25 years old in the 18th year of the judges, when he took command of the Nephite armies. It is now the 36th year of the judges, so he is 43 years old. He has seen war for 18 years, maybe more. He now gives command of his armies to his son Moronihah, so he can retire and spend the remainder of his days in peace. All that son must have known is his father being away at war.  At some point he must have joined his father in battle to learn from him. That just reminds me of the faithful military families our nation has, and all the sacrifices they make to preserve the freedoms I so enjoy. There has to be a very special place in heaven for such people.

With peace restored Helaman and his brethren go to declare the word of God to the people. Because of all the people have been through, their hearts are open and ready to receive it. It made me ponder on the role of war, and trials in our lives. No one ever wants to see either. But, it seems God allows it because it is a way to soften men's hearts and humble themselves before him. I reflected on my pains and sorrows, the grief my trials have given me in my life. I would not trade any of those experiences because of the relationship they have given me with the Lord. I need to remind myself that trials and war do and will come, but the Lord will always turn them to our good if we let him.

I pondered on how the Nephites needed to clean house within before they could conquer the enemy without. I can see a parallel in my life that cleansing my inner vessel is the only way I have had the strength to conquer the forces against me. Cleaning house within works in all areas of our lives, spiritually, physically and temporarily. I've seen it work for businesses. I cannot help but see the need for it in our own government too. Once the inner vessel is clean it is ready to conquer, prosper and grow. It just leaves me in awe sometimes how the scriptures can teach us things that effect every area of our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment