Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 37:36-37

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 37:36-37
"Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.
Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

I had a hard time picking a favorite verse the chapter was long and that about three themes that blended together in the end. I picked this because it is my heart song. These are questions I check myself with, to make sure I ever have the Lord in front of me. I so need guidance. I can't get through this earth life without the spirit leading me. 

This chapter speaks of how "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass". I pondered on how small and simply it is to always direct my day towards the Lord. To always seek to have his protection and guidance. Yet these small acts give me a promise of being lifted up at the last day. It is marvelous to think of that promise. All I need to do is take it one step and one day at a time. I pondered on how all the things the Lord wants me to do are really not hard. Because its not hard, its easy to forget. It's that whole simpleness of the way, that messes me up.

I reminds me of when I went back to college in my mid-thirties. I had never been a good student in high school. I worked full time and went to school full time, plus I was a wife and mother. I also loss the use of my hands for part of the time. I had to type reports with a pencil in my mouth. It was hard and I had every excuse to not do the work and fail. Yet, I received the highest honors. That was because I found out if I went to every class, did every assignment given me on time, and studied I could not only pass but excel. For the first time I found out I was actually smart. I discovered it was actually harder work failing then doing what was simply asked from the beginning. I see this pattern now too, with doing what the Lord asks. With all the blessings that come with doing what he asks, it is actually harder to do nothing and fail.


No comments:

Post a Comment