Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 31:8-10

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 31:8-10
"Now the Zoramites were dissenters from the Nephites; therefore they had had the word of God preached unto them.
But they had fallen into great errors, for they would not observe to keep the commandments of God, and his statues, according to the law of Moses.
Neither would they observe the performances of the church, to continue in prayer and supplication to God daily, that they might not enter into temptation."

Alma and others go to Antionum to preach the gospel to the Zoramites. The Zoramites had separated themselves from the Nephites and the fear was with them living near the Lamanite land that they would start corresponding and dealing with them. Which could endanger the Nephites safety. Preaching the word to them was a better way to change their ways then the sword. I would have thought the odd way the Zoramites had started to worship would have been what I pondered on today. 

Instead what caught my attention is how the Zoramites had fallen away to begin with. They were members of the church they knew better, but they lost their way. They stopped keeping the commandments, practicing the law of Moses and other performances of the church. But, I think the biggest thing that happened to them is they stopped their daily prayers. It just really stressed to me the importance of something so simply but must be done every day. Once we stop praying there is no connection to God. He can't help us in our lives. The spirit soon withdraws. I cannot even imagine my life without prayer. I would be utterly lost. I know the more I pray the closer I am to God. The easier it is to talk to him. It made me think of the verse in Alma 37:6 "..that by small and simply things are great things brought to pass". I think it is by missing or attending to the small things like daily prayer that great things can be taken away too.

No comments:

Post a Comment