Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 30:52-53

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 30:52-53
And Korihor put forth his hand and wrote, saying: I know that I am dumb, for I cannot speak; and I know that nothing save it were the power of God could bring this upon me; yea, and I always knew that there was a God.
But behold, the devil hath deceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel, and said unto me: Go and reclaim this people, for they have all gone astray after an unknown God. And he said unto me: There is no God; yea, and he taught me that which I should say. And I taught his words; and I taught them because they were pleasing unto the carnal mind; and I taught them, even until I had much success, insomuch that I verily believed that they were true; and for this cause I withstood the truth, even until I have brought this great curse upon me.

This is the story of Korihor, an Anti-Christ. that was teaching the people  there was no Christ. To be an Anti-Christ means they have a philosophy against Christ. Its not just one person, its a movement. There are people today that are Anti-Christ. From these verses I see that Korihor always knew there was a God but he was deceived by Satan to believe otherwise. I think that is a key, that an Anti-Christ once believed in God and now doesn't, because to do so is pleasing to the carnal mind.

What this chapter tells me he taught I see being preached among people today. It is a whole philosophy that teaches those that believe in a God are crazy. Korihor wanted a sign, and like all people asking for a sign what is given effects them alone. I'm sure he wanted some impressive wonderment in the earth or heavens to appear. Instead he is struck dumb as a testament of God's power, and to remove his ability to preach false doctrine again. It is never a good thing to ask a prophet of God for a sign.

What I found interesting and pondered over is how odd this interaction was with devil. First off Korihor did not apply the principle in Doctrine & Covenants section 129, to try an angel or spirit that appears to us. If it be an angel with a resurrected body you will offer to shake hands and you will feel their body. If it be a spirit messenger from God, which is not resurrected or having a body, when you offer your hand they will not move to shake it, but deliver their message instead. It is against the order of heaven to deceive. If it be the devil appearing as an angel of light, he also has no body, so when you offer your hand he will shake hands but you will feel nothing. I'm sure in the Book of Mormon time they had this knowledge. I know there are people now that don't have this knowledge and could be so deceived, maybe Korihor was one of them. But, it really makes me grateful for revealed truths so I know not to be deceived by an angel of light - which is the devil. Not that I ever want to see one.

The other thing I ponder on was the message. The devil tells him that people have all gone astray after an unknown God, then he tells him what to preach. Even if I didn't know how to test this angel I would have questioned who this person was and where he came from. Wouldn't the very presence of an angel tell you there is some greater power than man. There are people outside of our world?  The angel says don't believe in God, but believe me? Then Korihor teaches there is no God at all to people. To me that is crazy. Who did Korihor think was teaching him? About the only thing I can think of is people having aliens appear to them and just buying what is told them, even if it is to tell them there is no God. I wonder if the people in the Book of Mormon times had people trying to figure out aliens in their day. I do believe in other worlds and planets with people on them. I just don't believe they interact with our world. The ones deceiving us are the devil and his angels, residing here on our earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment