Friday, August 21, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Mormon 3:16-17

Today's Favorite Verse: Mormon 3:16-17
"And it came to pass that I utterly refused to go up against mine enemies; and I did even as the Lord had commanded me; and I did stand as an idle witness to manifest unto the world the things which I saw and heard, according to the manifestations of the Spirit which had testified of things to come.
Therefore I write unto you, Gentiles, and also unto you, house of Israel, when the work shall commence, that ye shall be about to prepare to return to the land of your inheritance;"

The Lamanites and Nephites are warring with each other. Mormon is leading the Nephites in battle until he sees they boast in their own strength, and began to swear by all things that were forbidden them by the Lord, and seek to avenge themselves of their enemies. This vengeance is not pleasing before Lord. It is then that Mormon refused to lead them anymore. How it must have broken his heart to see the downfall of a people. He has to stand now as an idle witness to their deeds.

Then I realized he really wasn't idle as in having no purpose. For what must have filled his soul is to write - for us. Four times he says "I write". Who is he writing to? He's writing to me. I'm holding these very words in my hands. He saw our day, he really knew how to strengthen us as we face these same situations in life. What solace he must have received for he feed his soul by reading the scriptures, and writing to us. There is a lesson here for when we have to stand as an idle witness. Immerse yourself in the scriptures so you don't lose all hope and faith. 


Day 1971

No comments:

Post a Comment